How Can SERVPRO Tools Remove Condo Flooding?
Should your condo flood, call SERVPRO! We are always available to take your call!
Disaster Mitigation Specialists Perform Upper West Side Residential Flood Damage Cleanup
Flood damage is a very present concern in many New York State areas, including the Upper West Side. According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) data, as of June 2020, only 21% of flood insurance policies cover condominiums.
If you find flood damage in your Upper West Side condo, SERVPRO can begin the cleanup process within your initial contact hours.
What Tools Does SERVPRO Use for Flood Damage Mitigation?
- EPA-registered sanitation products.SERVPRO has access to over 100 proprietary cleaning solutions to address concerns related to floods, such as mold growth, chemical runoff, and stains from inks, dyes, and furniture finishes.
- Commercial-grade moisture extraction tools.Gas-powered sump pumps, portable and truck-mounted extraction units, and small scale moisture extraction wands are all designed to remove large amounts of water and accelerate the structural drying process by as much as 500%.
- Alternative power sources.If flooding has affected your property’s access to electricity, SERVPRO can provide power sources for operating equipment.
- Odor control solutions.SERVPRO has access to industrial-strength foggers, HEPA filter vacuums, and odor-counteractant products that address a broad array of unpleasant odors related to home flooding.
How Can SERVPRO Restore Your Belongings After a Flood?
SERVPRO teams can perform a pack-out to remove your possessions from a flood-damaged property, take them to a SERVPRO warehouse, and preserve them for restoration. Items are documented, packed, and sorted room by room. Homeowners and insurance adjusters keep up to date through the entirety of the pack-out process.
SERVPRO technicians have the means to sanitize and deodorize many items. Some belongings, however, may require particular types of expertise to prevent property loss. SERVPRO frequently employs the services of such professionals as:
- Electronics restoration techs
- Document restoration specialists
- Dry cleaners
- Furniture refinishers
- Art restorers
SERVPRO of Upper West Side provides emergency-response services that are Faster to Any Size Disaster. Get the assistance you need by calling (917) 498-1362.
More about Upper West Side.
Do I Need a Special Kind of Disaster Recovery Company to Help Me with Flooding Affecting My Upper West Side Apartment?
Floods can damage your belongings even if you live in an apartment or condo. Contact SERVPRO for flood and storm damage remediation services.
Your Local SERVPRO Adapts to Meet Your Needs Where You Live -- When You Reach Out for Flood Damage Assistance on the Upper West Side We Will Be Ready
Single-family homes are not the norm on the Upper West Side, so reputable flooding recovery firms must invest in training and equipment that deliver results in densely populated, multi-family, multi-story home buildings. The research-based theories and best practices taught by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) apply to damage in a high-rise. Still, the approach must consider the challenges of removing water and drying out the property when there are equipment accessibility hurdles.
I Live Many Stories Above the Street -- What Kind of Flood Damage Will I Reasonably Have?
You might feel impervious to flood damage on the Upper West Side, but you will feel the flooding effects even if it does not flow directly inside your apartment or condo. Many systems that provide heating, cooling, plumbing, and transport (elevators) base their operations in the lower levels of your multi-level building. If contaminated water interferes with these systems' workings, you and your neighbors experience immediate cessation of electricity and climate controls. Elevators cannot run without electricity, so you are either stuck in your unit or forced to use stairways that can have flooding issues of their own the closer you get to the bottom.
What About My Storage Areas? Will They Flood?
If you use assigned rooms or containers in the lower levels of your apartment, condo, or brownstone, unfortunately, the chances are excellent that your belongings will absorb flood water in the Upper West Side. One of the benefits of hiring SERVPRO to manage that crisis is our ability to pack-out items and evaluate and restore them away from the confusion caused by many other residents dealing with similar issues. We use a system that provides a digitized record of the items we pack out -- the Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS). We track articles through:
- Written lists
- Digital photos
The records are saved to a digital file and permit our specially trained contents technicians to document the process from assessment through mitigation and remediation interventions, arriving finally at either an acceptable return to function and appearance or a decision to discard an item because of intractable damage. Our documentation helps when you seek coverage from your insurance company. Restoration interventions found at our production facility include:
- Industrial wash and drying systems for textiles and soft items
- Freeze-drying technology for papers and photos
- Immersion and ultrasonic tanks to loosen grime and pathogens carried by the flood waters and now coating loose items
- Small drying chambers for electronics and furnishings where we can monitor and manipulate air movement, temperature, and humidity
- EPA-registered cleaning and disinfection products
- Deodorization products and innovative equipment that can eliminate persistent odors
- Ozone machines
- Fogging machines
- Hydroxyl generators
What If Exterior Storm Damage Makes Its Way Inside, Even Many Stories Above the Street?
Broken windows and poorly configured or damaged drainage systems can offload torrential rains into your living space. Leaks around windows and exterior doors leading to balconies or decks can cause significant damage even if the glass remains intact. How can we help with this challenge?
- A project manager arrives to assess for any safety issues
- We are on the lookout for water in ceiling or wall cavities which can cause structural collapse
- If found, we use controlled demolition techniques like punching weep holes or cutting holes into or taking sections of walls out to access trapped water
- If you live on the first three floors, truck-mounted extractors can remove water
- Higher elevations require our technicians to use one or many portable (backpack) extractors to remove fluids
- One of our highly trained technicians uses detection and metering devices to trace the perimeter of the water incursion and test materials for water absorption levels.
- The moisture measurements inform our drying goals
- Air movers and dehumidifiers facilitate the evaporation of moisture from building materials and into the air where we capture it for disposal
Flood damage in your apartment or condominium building affects your life in ways you might not expect. The scenario is tricky to mitigate and remediate, but SERVPRO of Upper West Side has the skilled technicians and equipment to get it managed quickly and successfully. Give us a call at (917) 498-1362 to discover what we can do to help you during this difficult time.
My Industrial Building In Upper West Side Has Flooding, Can I Salvage Everything Inside?
SERVPRO of Upper West Side is your answer when you need help with flood damage in your commercial space.
SERVPRO Handles Commercial Flood Damage Quickly and Effectively, Salvaging Everything Possible Within Your Upper West Side Building
Nobody ever wants to deal with a natural disaster resulting in flooding, but these events happen fast and without warning. SERVPRO is ready to spring into action to cover any water-related emergency at your Upper West Side industrial property. Our trained water restoration technicians (WRT) know that every second counts. This is why our team works rapidly to ensure you get back to business regardless of the scope of the flooding.
Why Should I Call SERVPRO to Handle Flood Restoration?
When you contact our team for flood damage in your Upper West Side commercial property, we will be there within hours to get started. You can count on us to:
• Understand the characteristics of flood damage: We locate the cause or entry point of the flooding and begin the cleanup and content management. We address the root cause for the issue and start salvaging whatever possible while marking off a flood zone to limit water migration.
• Handle the water damage with skill and precision: We have powerful extraction tools to bring up the water and high-volume desiccant dehumidifiers to manage moisture within the environment. We control the contamination and put a plan of action into place for repair or replacement of unsalvageable building materials
• Take care of content and document recovery: Our crew knows how essential documents and contents are within your industrial building. We can work on cleaning items on-site or remove them to be restored at our secure facility. Everything is meticulously inventoried and put back into place once the restoration is complete.
SERVPRO of Upper West Side is your answer when you need help with flood damage in your commercial space. Call us 24/7 at (917) 498-1362, and we send out a Green Fleet equipped with all the tools and products to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Do I Call a Water Loss Company First Before I Focus on Fire Restoration in My Manhattan Brownstone?
Fire damage to an apartment can leave you without a place to live for a while. Contact SERVPRO to get you back into your apartment.
Hiring a Full-Service Restoration Company Like SERVPRO Covers All Aspects of Fire Damage Recovery in Your Manhattan Home
The first thing that grabs your attention after a successfully extinguished fire in your Manhattan apartment is water. Vast quantities and significant contamination of the firefighting water by chemical extinguishing agents and fire residues are the challenges restoration companies face first.
Why Is Water Damage Treated First?
Fire restoration within your Manhattan living space nearly always includes water removal and structural drying. Water mitigation and remediation must occur before smoke and soot cleanup because:
Water incursion presents substantial safety issues.
- Slip, trip, and fall
- Electrocution risk
- Hazardous substances contaminating the water, including toxins created during the combustion
- Potential structural collapse when ceilings and walls collect fluids in cavities
Lingering standing water and moisture expose structure and contents to progressive destruction.
- Weakening of structural supports including subfloors when wood swells and metal rusts
- Deterioration of permeable materials like drywall, insulation, textiles, laminates, and more
- Warping of wood flooring and trim
- Growth of molds and mildews
Can One Restoration Company Have Expertise in Both Water and Fire Loss?
SERVPRO considers water and fire disasters to be the core focuses of our restoration business. We invest in our response team's rigorous training through coursework developed by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). We follow both the water and fire restoration protocols taught by this international standards establishment organization based on scientific principles.
The multiple certifications earned by our managers and technicians from the IICRC prepare SERVPRO of Upper West Side for every phase of fire restoration, from water management to residue cleanup to deodorization, and beyond. Call us at (917) 498-1362 to get a comprehensive fire damage recovery project on track for your home.
Click here for more information about Manhattan.
Is It True Complete Mold Removal is Impossible in Manhattan?
SERVPRO brings their years of experience and professional equipment to handle any size mold removal safely.
SERVPRO techs have the experience and equipment to perform any size mold remediation in your Manhattan property
While mold remediation gets done in Manhattan homes across the county, truly removing mold is not possible as microscopic airborne spores occur naturally within structures and outdoors. The difference between a spore floating harmlessly within your home and a mold infestation gets determined by whether or not conditions are right for the spore to germinate inside your home:
• Indoor humidity levels sustained over 50%
• Something organic to the consumer such as sheetrock, wood studs or contents such as books or paper
• Temperatures hovering around 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit although colonies can exist in 32 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
How Do I Know If I Need Mold Removal Under Carpet or Hardwood Flooring?
One of the most common scenarios seen for mold removal needs in Manhattan homes occurs when a previous water loss from a long-standing leak or sudden water spill event that seeps under flooring or gets wicked into sheetrock and does not get adequately cleaned. Signs your flooring has mold growth are:
• Musty odors
• Carpet feels dry on top but damp towards the backing
• Visible mold growth
• Persistent water droplets on wood boards without a visible source indicate high humidity conditions
• Discoloration on the edges of the wood
Mold growth within walls can frequently get traced to a slow leak the homeowner had no previous knowledge of or the lack of a functioning vapor barrier between the insulation and the outer walls of your structure. The vapor barrier may be improperly installed, or there may not be one behind your insulation; either way, the outcome is often mold colonies that require professional remediation.
What Happens to Structure and Contents Covered in Mold?
Structural elements such as mold-covered sheetrock and insulation require careful removal and disposal as there are no restoration procedures for saving sheetrock with deterioration. SERVPRO techs have specially fitted vacuum units for the safe collection of ruined insulation. Other common losses include mold damaged tile and carpet. There is no way to return it to sanitary standards for reuse in the home, and it must be removed. Fabric-covered items and clothing that can withstand washing can get cleaned and refreshed in the Esporta Washing System. However, if mold has invaded upholstered furnishings, they are generally a loss.
Nonporous home contents with the potential for restoration through cleaning get taken to a cleaning station where the techs carefully clean and dry the items for use.
Finding All Potential Areas With Mold
When SERVPRO techs undergo their extensive and on-going training for restoration services, they have continuing education for mold remediation, including the latest advances for the best outcome for every mold loss situation. Using their moisture detection equipment, the techs peer behind walls and under flooring to find any areas of elevated moisture. This practice allows the techs to pinpoint problem areas, so only a portion of a wall or floor area needs to get opened up for drying and mold treatment applications.
How Does SERVPRO Treat Mold Damaged Areas?
A crucial aspect of mold remediation is the use of both air movers and dehumidifiers to lower the interior humidity, supporting colony growth. The air movers cause embedded moisture to rise where the dehumidifiers capture it. To maintain the interior humidity levels after drying, the reason for the mold growth must get addressed and repaired as needed to stop the cycle. The techs diagnose the problem and offer solutions to the needed repairs to halt any further loss.
After drying, the techs use manual tools or hand vacuums with HEPA filtration to perform gentle abatement on the dried colonies. Air scrubbers run during the mitigation efforts to capture any airborne spores and stop any potential spread of the spores to other areas.
Then, the techs wipe down surfaces with their antimicrobial cleaning agents to inhibit any germination of spores before repairs get completed. In some cases, the techs use antimicrobial sealant painted on studs and other framework elements prior to rebuilding to ensure there is no return of the infestation. If the sealant gets used on visible walls or ceilings, priming and painting over it do not diminish its effectiveness. As a final step, the ductwork throughout the home gets inspected to determine if it too needs cleaning.
SERVPRO of Upper West Side at (917) 498-1362 brings their years of experience and professional equipment to handle any size mold removal safely. Call at the first sign of an infestation to stop any further spread of the issue throughout your property.
What Do I Do About Mold in the Kitchen of My Manhattan Restaurant
Mold in your Manhattan restaurant will reduce sales and reputation. Call SERVPRO for mold remediation.
Our SERVPRO team can help with effective remediation solutions that can keep you going while mold removal efforts continue.
You might not realize how likely mold damage and other microbial threats are in your Manhattan restaurant. With so many pieces of equipment generating heat and creating steam in an already humid environment, you have more than met the conditions necessary for facilitating mold growth. Addressing these concerns might not seem like a pressing matter, but in many cases, traditional cleaning methods are ineffective against structural mold.
Regarding mold removal for your Manhattan restaurant, it is more complicated than are remediators showing up and getting the job done. In recent legislature, the state of New York has mandated that a third party assess the damage that the mold has caused and allow this third party to dictate what efforts must occur to provide a safe working environment for your restaurant again. We can follow up quickly on these decisions to limit anytime that your kitchen might need to stay closed.
What Happens if I Do Nothing About Mold?
Many property owners mistakenly believe that doing nothing for mold growth allows the problem to dissipate naturally. Unfortunately, in many situations, these conditions only worsen as humidity and steam remain persistent problems in the active kitchen.
What Are Effective Strategies for Removing Mold from Brick and Tile?
Tile is often resistant to mold colonization, but grouted joints surrounding these tiles are not. Brick and grout can both become hosts for active colonization, which can continue to spread beyond the boundaries of your kitchen area. Some of the removal solutions include:
- Soda Blasting
- Wipe Cleaning
- Controlled Demolition
Mold can be an unexpected and threatening presence in your restaurant, but our SERVPRO of Upper West Side team can offer effective remediation solutions. Give us a call anytime at (917) 498-1362.
We Had Flooding; I Need Help to Dry My Interior
SERVPRO Leaves Your Flood Damaged Home in Upper West Side Only When It Is Dry and Ready for a Build Back
SERVPRO’s Green Fleet in the Upper West Side Comes Equipped with the Best Tools for Flood Damage Restoration
Once you know that your family is safe as flooding overtakes your Upper West Side home, you can call SERVPRO for mitigation and restoration services. Cleaning up your interior and ensuring everything is sanitized and deodorized can be challenging, but we are here to help. We are Faster To Any Size Disaster with crews available 24/7 for emergency restoration services. Once you reach out to us, we send a team to your property to begin the assessment in as little as four hours or less.
Will All Building Materials Need Replacing?
We arrive and formulate a plan quickly to get the water removal started. In any situation involving flood damage in the Upper West Side, the longer that you wait, the more secondary damage takes hold. Things to look out for include:
- Saturated and weakened subflooring
- Soaked drywall that begins to crumble
- Buckling or warping of hardwood floors
- Warped and buckling wood framing
- Supports or metal fasteners that start to rust
- Bulging or breaking ceiling tiles
- Blistering or peeling wallpaper or paint
How Do You Know What Steps to Take?
SERVPRO uses a unique formula that allows us to determine the equipment we need and how many pieces of equipment can facilitate water removal, drying, and cleaning. Powerful water extraction tools allow us to remove hundreds of gallons of debris-filled water promptly. We then set up drying equipment like air movers and dehumidifiers to remove moisture from materials and the air inside the home. Moisture detection tools allow us to find any lingering pockets that require further attention. Everything then wraps up with complete sanitizing and deodorization to prevent the development of foul odors.
Call (917) 498-1362 day or night when you need help with flood damage to your home. Our SERVPRO of Upper West Side team ensures your interior is just “Like it never even happened.”
Find out more about The Upper West Side
Can Soot-Covered Appliances in My Upper West Side Kitchen Survive a Remodeling Fire?
SERVPRO Has the Skills, Products, and Equipment to Restore High-End Appliances After Upper West Side Fire Damage
The irony is not lost when your brand-new artisan-grade appliances are coated in smelly, sticky residues after an electrical short in your rehabbing contractor’s equipment sets your Upper West Side apartment on fire. You finally proceeded with a long-needed kitchen remodel, only to have the bright, clean appliances purchased in anticipation of a redone and enhanced food preparation area reduced to a condition even worse than the grease encased decades-old kitchen suite it replaced.
Why Are Restorers Wrapping My Kitchen in Plastic?
Any blaze creates dangerous fumes and potentially hazardous fire damage to your Upper West Side home. residues. Upper West Side residents in elegant older apartment buildings can risk exposure to a wide range of toxic airborne and settled debris that could cause illness or injury. Our project manager recommends containment with 1.6 mil polyethylene and employment of air-scrubbing equipment to minimize debris spread. Our technicians wear personal protective equipment (PPE) to limit skin and respiratory contact.
What Hazardous Substances Concern Professionals?
Older buildings can contain lead-based paint, asbestos, and many different chemicals unleashed by the fire. When electrified circuits contribute to the fire, a term rarely heard today--polychlorinated biphenyls or PCBs--can add an extremely worrisome substance to the mix if part of your building’s electrical system still utilizes applications using these materials. If SERVPRO suspects the involvement of these hazards, we arrange for certified technicians to abate the toxins.
How Will Fire and Smoke Restoration Technicians (FSRT) Clean My Appliances?
Once we have the specified hazards remediated, our Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)-trained crew assess the various fire residue-damaged appliances. We consider two major, intersecting aspects of the damage:
The characteristics of the surfaces affected:
Are they solid or porous?
What are the materials used?
- Wood-faced (build-in units)
What kind of a finish do they have?
- Stained or painted
The characteristics of the soot deposited on said surfaces:
Usually, an electrical fire produces thick, sticky soot. Protein-based residues can also form if food or grease in the kitchen heats up during the blaze. The protein-based residue is highly malodorous and attaches to the appliances like a lacquer or varnish, yellowing, or otherwise discoloring them. Although the combination of the two types of soot presents a cleanup challenge, it is one we see frequently and resolve successfully.
How Do We Use the Data About the Appliance Surface and the Soot?
When we match cleaning products to soot, we always keep in mind that we want the residue to loosen, become suspended in solution, and rinse away. With large and stationary objects such as appliances, we use a spray and wipe technique to apply the product, agitate, and remove the cleaner and the dissolved or suspended residue.
What kind of product should we use?
We always keep in mind that “like dissolves like.” If the soot is determined to be water-based, we use a water-based cleaner. Protein-based and some synthetic-based soots need a solvent or oil-based cleaner. In multi-soot circumstances, detergent bridges the difference.
What kind of agitation should we use?
The durability of the surface helps us judge what kind of scrubbing or addition of abrasives an appliance cabinet can endure. We want to make sure a little “elbow grease” does not remove or dull a finish. Adding a lubricant can protect the surface while allowing a gritty compound or tool to exert gentle abrasion to remove residues that cling persistently.
How long should the cleaner be in contact with the surface?
Adjusting the pH of a cleaner can help break the bond between the residue and the surface. Permitting dwell time of a cleaner to exceed suggested limits can corrode, tarnish, pit, or etch some appliance finishes. If laminate applied over another material makes the appliances look like built-ins, we are careful not to soak the surfaces as delamination might occur.
What extremes of temperature can the surface handle?
Raising the temperature of a cleaning product urges the molecules to move faster during a chemical reaction. Appliances featuring plastics might experience warping if the temperature rises too high.
What can professionals do about discoloring?
Bleaching either adds oxygen or removes oxygen from the chemical structure of residues. Enzymes break up organic residues, permitting our technicians to wipe them and their staining away.
Have confidence that the professionals from SERVPRO of Upper West Side can assess your kitchen’s fire damage and plot a course to make the soot and smells “Like it never even happened.” We await your call 24/7 at (917) 498-1362.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open in Upper West Side, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Upper West Side today at (917) 498-1362 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Is Carpet Damage Irreparable After an Upper West Side Water Loss?
SERVPRO has the equipment to dry your water damaged home. Call us today!
SERVPRO professionals can often salvage flooring in Upper West Side homes with a prompt and knowledgeable response during the emergency.
Flooring is one of the first materials often damaged and ruined by standing water and absorption. Because water pools along these surfaces, sensitive materials like carpets and hardwood floors are quick to absorb the moisture. Within 48 hours, saturation concerns can become so great that swelling, distortion, or deterioration make it impossible to preserve the flooring material.
How Can Water Losses Affect the Carpet?
Regarding water cleanup in Upper West Side properties, an understanding of what can happen to each of the affected elements in a flooring system can show the importance of each layer of mitigation and restoration work that our SERVPRO professionals provide. Affected layers of carpeted floors include:
- Surface Layers – the fibers of carpeting can seem magnetized when it comes to absorbing and holding water. Carpet wands can help to reduce the saturation so that drying efforts can be more productive.
- Padding – This layer directly beneath the surface fibers can also quickly and thoroughly absorb migrating water. Often, floating tactics for drying place air movers between the padding and the surface layers to work on drying simultaneously.
- Subflooring – The base layer in most residential homes is either plywood or OSB board, both of which are not impenetrable by migrating moisture. Thorough drying of the top layers of this system can prevent water from reaching the subflooring.
What Type of Cleaning Needs to Be Done to Restore Carpeted Floors?
Once you have dried out trapped moisture in the flooring system's layers, it can be wise to clean the carpets. This extra step improves the look and feel of the damaged area, so it feels "Like it never even happened." We have several options for premier cleaning, including hot water extraction and preconditioning.
No matter how we can help after a water loss, our SERVPRO of Upper West Side team are available 24/7 by calling (917) 498-1362.
More about the Upper West Side.